Friday, July 10, 2009

My Fantasy Team

Despite its name, this blog is not an ode to Tony LaRussa. I understand that LaRussa has the third most wins all-time of any manager of Major League Baseball. I understand that LaRussa has taken the St. Louis Cardinals to seven post-season appearances in thirteen completed seasons (including our 2006 World Series Championship). And I understand that LaRussa speaks fluent Spanish and has a Juris Doctor Degree (endearing to me in particular). However, this blog is not an ode to Tony LaRussa.

Instead, as the title denotes, this blog is named after "My Fantasy Team." Having played fantasy football twice in college, and fantasy basketball last year, I am currently enjoying my time with my first two fantasy baseball teams. I thought that inventing two smart names for two fantasy baseball teams would be a daunting task, but I quickly decided: "Birds on a Bat" and "My Pitcher Bats 8th."

I thought that Birds on a Bat was a very neat name, and even received a couple compliments. Unfortunately, the Birds on a Bat have failed me thus far, leaving me in dead last, 12 of 12, most of the season. I merely thought that My Pitcher Bats 8th would let my league opponents know I am a Cardinals fan, but I did not think much of the name. Ironically, My Pitcher Bats 8th has been perched atop its league, 1 of 12, for most of the season, and by a healthy margin.

Hopefully this blog will go the way of My Pitcher Bats 8th and not the Birds on a Bat. In addition, I believe that anyone seeking out a St. Louis Cardinals blog will identify the name as such. I intent to post at least a few times a week, almost exclusively about the St. Louis Cardinals, but also about baseball in general and fantasy baseball. Feel free to check out the few links I have on the side in the mean time.

In closing my posts, I have decided that I will not provide a summary or a formal conclusion of any kind. Instead, I will try to shut down every post with my own closer, and this is my first.

Closer: If the Cardinals would have to give the Blue Jays a list of all of our minor league players and let the Blue Jays circle any five in a trade for Roy Halladay (signed though next year at approximately $15 million), what would another team have to offer the Cardinals for Albert Pujols in the last year of his contract in 2011 (assuming the Cardinals have not extended Pujols' contract and every Cardinals fan's worst nightmare comes true)?

No comments:

Post a Comment